A LITTLE ABOUT THE POSITION
The Director of Downtown Inc oversees the day-to-day operations and team while functioning as Main Street Manager for the 26 square-block central business district of historic Downtown York, Pennsylvania, and as manager of the Business Improvement District.
The Director will manage a broad array of programs, projects, and partnerships intended to improve the urban landscape through beautification programs and policy changes; promote the downtown through branding, marketing, and events; enhance public safety in partnership with City of York and police department; and foster economic development through business recruitment and retention. The Director will especially focus on building relationships with the downtown business community to better serve their needs and advocate for their success.
You must have a strong ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, work independently, and prioritize multiple projects with excellent attention to detail. This position reports to the Vice President, Marketing and Communications and works within the larger team.
Most importantly, you must be willing to have fun, be an extroverted, welcoming personality with a willingness to meet new people and often be the first face someone sees at an event.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING:
- Champion Downtown York in the community through media appearances, presentations and tours to stakeholder groups, representing Downtown Inc on key committees, and generally advocating for the interests of Downtown York whenever possible.
- Work daily with the Downtown and YCEA teams on events, urban landscapes, economic development, and marketing and communications.
- Work collaboratively with the full department, including fellow directors on content creation, graphic design, fundraising, and events.
- Maintain relationships with partner organizations and committees, including but not limited to: York Business Improvement District Authority, Mayor’s office, City Council, County Commissioners, Better York, York County Community Foundation, Ambassador volunteers, and major corporate and foundation donors.
- Oversee and manage the York Business Improvement District Authority board and committees related to economic development, fundraising, and urban landscapes.
- Proactively reach out to businesses to foster relationships, anticipate and address concerns, and document business needs and successes.
- Support the fundraising, and day-of-giving campaigns for Downtown Inc.
- Advance the Downtown Action Plan, and York County Economic Action Plan as it relates to Downtown stakeholders.
- Other duties as assigned.
WHY WORK FOR US?
We #MakeThingsHappen in YoCo! We have a great team and our job is to wake up daily and make positive change occur across our County. Our Downtown Inc team focuses on the Historically Edgy development in the heart of York City.
We offer competitive benefits that include healthcare, a retirement plan, paid family leave, and tuition reimbursement. We respect that your personal time is important, that is why we offer paid time off and vacation leave and encourage you to utilize it. We can accommodate flexible in-office and remote working. We respect and encourage community volunteer involvement.
WE ARE A WELCOMING WORKPLACE
The York County Economic Alliance and Downtown Inc are Equal Opportunity Employers and are committed to cultivating an environment where all voices are welcomed, celebrated and treated with respect. Our mission is to create equitable economic prosperity. Read about our Economic Equity Plan here.
Our organization is dedicated to provide opportunities to all employees and applicants. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protecting employees and applicants under the law.
General Requirements & Skills
WHO YOU ARE:
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a related field, such as business, communications, planning, or public policy.
- A preferred candidate will have 6-10 years of experience in an economic and community development role, marketing role, or other relevant experience, but we will consider candidates with 3-6 years of experience.
- Experience with the Main Street approach, ideally in a leadership position within a successful Main Street program or similar non-profit organization.
- Fluency in Spanish highly-desired but not required.
- Demonstrated fundraising ability.
- Ability to manage a team and work collaboratively.
- Possesses prior leadership management skills.
- Ability to develop relationships and work with external partners of all types, including but not limited to businesses, vendors, city staff, etc.
- Ability to attend evening/weekend events that are relevant to the position and organization, including community events and meetings.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects at the same time, prioritize, and meet deadlines.
- Able to function effectively and independent of direct-supervision.
- Able to handle sensitive issues, situations, and information with diplomacy, professionalism and confidentiality.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, and organizational skills.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Fun, innovative personality with a willingness to create and try new methods of communication and events.
- Ability to thrive in a hybrid work environment that temporarily—and perhaps permanently—will involve both remote and in-person work as needed.