The Director of Marketing is a dynamic, strategic-minded professional responsible for developing and overseeing the comprehensive marketing, sales and communications program for the organization. The position is responsible for meeting ticket sales goals, creating awareness for Appell Center events and programs, and communicating the organization's role and impact as the home for the performing arts in York County.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead and manage strategic marketing initiatives in alignment with the Appell Center’s strategic goals that will meet and exceed goals for the following:
- Ticket sales for Strand Theatre, Capitol Theatre and Studio performances – 150+ performances and films annually
- Annual membership donations and corporate sponsorships (with Director of Development)
- Audience development and retention
- Education Programs
- Lead and manage Appell Center website strategy and upgrade projects
- Enhance user experience
- Infuse SEO best practices
- Lead and execute Appell Center Public Relations strategy
- Manage earned media relationships and sponsorships
- Lead and execute media/advertising buying and planning, including: Radio, TV, Print, Digital, OOH, Direct Mail, Social Media, Email, etc.
- Manage paid media relationships and sponsorships
- Manage artist relationships to meet and exceed individual performance sales goals
- Supervise activities and responsibilities of Marketing team
- Manage the Appell Center brand and its implementation
- Establish and oversee brand guidelines and standards
- Manage the brand guidelines and standards for the Appell Center’s sub-brands, including: CapLive, CapComedy and CapFilm
- Lead ticket sales and marketing data analytics initiatives to determine the effectiveness of marketing initiatives.
- Provide input and expertise to Ticket Office to maximize ticket sales, membership goals and enhance customer service experience.
- Oversee all Marketing Department budgets, including event settlements, department expenditures, and invoice processing
- Serve as staff leader for Audience Development Committee
- Other tasks as assigned
General Requirements & Skills
Critical Success Factors
The critical success factors listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job functions.
- Demonstrated knowledge of, and experience implementing strategic marketing and advertising; public relations and corporate communications
- Outstanding writing, communication and presentation skills
- Advanced best practice knowledge of web development and user experience
- Best practice knowledge of traditional media (Radio, TV, Print, Direct Mail, OOH, etc.)
- Best practice knowledge of ever-evolving digital marketing technologies (Search Engine Marketing, Display/Programmatic, Social Media, Retargeting, Email Marketing, etc.)
- Strong skills in media planning, buying, negotiation and results measurement
- Ability to manage and supervise staff
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong skills in data analytics and reporting
- Ability to multi-task and manage a large number and variety of projects concurrently
- Behavioral characteristics of successful candidates will include:
- Effective communicator (internally and externally)
- Creative thinker
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree with at least 6-8 years in progressively responsible and relevant experience required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, climb or balance. The employee is often required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and will occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
Excellent hearing is essential.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job functions.
The activity level varies daily depending on a wide variety of circumstance many of which are out of the control of the employer or employee.
Office hours are 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Monday-Friday. Director will be expected to be present at meetings, events and shows that occur outside of normal office hours.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but may be quite noisy.