York, PA, US, 17404
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,500 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of 3,780 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with Met-Ed, a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [ME]
The electrical engineer, located in either Hanover or York, PA, is accountable for the planning, protection and reliability of Met-Ed's distribution systems. This position performs analyses and recommends solutions to maintain a reliable electrical infrastructure that meets present and future electrical needs.
- Working safely in accordance with the Company’s Accident Prevention Handbook.
- Performing circuit analysis, switching studies and protection studies.
- Using engineering analysis software to model distribution system, calculate voltage drop and fault currents of circuits.
- Understanding and recommending settings for various recloser controls, regulator controls, capacitor controls and protective relays.
- Preparing budget estimates and schedules for system reinforcement projects.
- Performing power quality studies as needed.
- Performing distributed generation studies as needed.
- Performing outage analysis, including analysis of circuit lockouts, in support of the Company's reliability initiatives.
- Completing CEMI (Customer Experiencing Multiple Interruptions) and WPC (Worst Performing Circuit) analysis and recommend reliability improvements.
- Investigating and responding to customer reliability inquiries received through regulatory agencies, Company officers and/or Company processes.
- Supporting the Met-Ed storm process as needed, either as a hazard dispatcher, storm analyst or line shop analyst.
- Developing and providing technical information to support the Regional Dispatching Office to ensure safe and efficient operation of the electrical system.
- Supporting the Inspection & Maintenance (I&M) programs by planning and scheduling inspection activities annually; develop, plan, coordinate and conduct annual Process Training for inspectors and program audits. Initiate follow up work for repairs needed in SAP (DX notifications) and release to Customer Request Work Scheduling (CREWS).
- Following up on concerns and issues discovered in the course of I&M activities. Providing support and coaching to Line Shop Supervisors and Planners with inspection responsibilities to help ensure that all Operating Company, Corporate Regulatory, and PUC requirements are met.
- May be assigned special projects as business needs require.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering from an ABET-accredited school is required. Electrical / Electronic(s) Engineering Technology degree requires a PE license to meet position requirements.
- Experience and knowledge of electrical systems, operations and maintenance practices, switching and tagging, computer systems, work management and electrical controls is preferred. Relay control work experience is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience in effectively working and communicating across functional boundaries and providing total customer satisfaction.
- Able to identify and implement effective restoration processes and procedures.
- Willing to travel throughout the service territory and to work extra and/or irregular hours.
- Use personal vehicle to commute to various facilities and locations as required,
- Self-motivated and a self-starter, customer focused, results-oriented team player.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Able to analyze data, write technical reports, develop work packages to implement recommendations and handle multiple assignments.
- Able to provide storm restoration support and hazard dispatching duties during storm restoration efforts.
- Able to apply technical skills to solve practical problems.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team
Nearest Major Market: York PA
Nearest Secondary Market: Lancaster
Job Segment: Electrical Engineering, Engineer, Electrical, ERP, SAP, Engineering, Technology