Conduct all of the investigations in the Public Defender’s Office.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct investigation for the attorney’s with both Adult and Juvenile investigations.
- Thorough review is made of all materials furnished by the Commonwealth, including evidence.
- Thorough review made of all supplied material.
- Case conference held with Defense Attorney at which time the scope of the investigation is determined.
- Client interviews locate and interview witness(s), crime scene examination (photograph and measurements). Interviews conducted to locate witness(s) who did not give information to the Commonwealth. A Written investigative analysis is furnished to the Attorney. After review, a conference is held with the Defense Attorney at which a defense strategy is developed.
- During the review, process of the case and witness interviews experience is used to determine credibility and truthfulness.
- Assist in the corroboration information given by commonwealth witness(s) during the trial process; testify at trials and assist the Attorneys as needed.
- Maintain good relationships with all police departments, all other agencies, and all others you have contacted. A liaison between police and other agencies.
- Make arrangements with police departments and forensic laboratories for defense examinations of evidence; transport evidence to and from the laboratory maintains a chain of custody for the evidence.
- Transport witness(s) to and from court; travel to other institutions to conduct interviews.
- Analyze evidence.
- Assists in the development of an expert witness date base and on a continuing basis confer with experts to further the database.
- Keep abreast of changes in the crimes code, vehicle code, and rules of criminal procedure.
- Review arrest procedures to assure it were done in a lawful manner.
- Review analysis of polygraph examinations and explain results maintain case management.
- Maintain case management.
- Subpoena service.
- Any other request made by the attorney pertaining to their case(s).
- Knowledge of investigator/investigative techniques and relevant laws.
- Knowledge of geography, topography of York County and adjacent areas. Knowledge of policies and procedures of the Public Defender’s Office.
- Knowledge of York County Rules of Court and Rules of evidence.
- Skill in finding and/or investigating errant persons.
- Skill in interviewing persons of diverse culture and educational attainment.
- Skill in instructing persons of diverse culture and educational attainment in the sediments of courtroom testimony and protocol.
- Ability to understand and carry out complex instructions, written and oral.
- Ability to communicate clearly, orally, and in writing.
- Ability to work time bounds, under duress and in occasional physical danger.
- Ability to establish effective work relationships with supervisors, peers, law enforcement officers, attorneys, other professionals, and the general public.