Full-Time: 40 Hours/Week at Main Branch
Position Overview: The Early Childhood Head Teacher will provide leadership for the classroom team to maintain the quality of the JCC's Early Childhood Program, provide excellent care and education for children and build strong collaborations with families.
Location: Gan Tamar Campus: 2000 Hollywood Drive, York, PA 17403
- Assist the Associate Director / Director in the supervision of staff members on your teaching team.
- Arrange regular meetings for your teaching team.
- Provide a nurturing environment in which all children feel welcomed and secure.
- Meet NAEYC and Keystone STARS* standards.
- Adhere to the standards outlined in the JCC Early Childhood Program Handbook for:
- Following DHS regulations
- Communicating with families
- Care of facility and equipment
- Record keeping
- Health and safety procedures
- Teamwork, including regular attendance of staff meetings
- Other duties as needed or assigned
General Requirements & Skills
- B.A. degree in early childhood education, child development, elementary education, special education, psychology, or the human services field
- Three to four years of teaching experience
- Must be able to lift at least 30 pounds
- Must be able to meet the physical demands of child caregiving
- PA certified in Early Childhood Education
Early Childhood Philosophy:
Our Early Childhood Education Program seeks to provide an educational environment that fosters each child's self-image, curiosity to learn about the world, and confidence in his or her developing physical, intellectual, and social skills. Our intent is not to teach a selection of specific skills in preparation for the academic world of the elementary school. Rather, it is to instill in children an image of themselves as capable learners. It is to provide each child an environment rich in possibilities for child-initiated and directed, teacher supported learning, through active exploration and play. At the JCC, we believe that the best preparation for the academic work of the years ahead begins in an early program that nurtures children, reinforces their natural disposition to ask questions and find answers, and strengthens children's ability to function as both strong individuals and as caring members of a child-sized community.
The History of the JCC Early Childhood Education Program:
The JCC opened its first nursery school program in 1951 and in 1989 the JCC moved to its present building. With this move, we renamed our program, JCC School for the Early Years. In 1998 we opened a second wing to our early childhood hallway with 3 more classrooms. These rooms now house our child care children, ages 18 months through 5 years. In 2015 we added an additional 3 classrooms and a motor skills room which allowed for 55 more children. We currently care for approximately 185 children in our ECE Program.
Who We Are
The JCC is a non-profit community center that welcomes the diverse population of York County, regardless of religion, financial or ethnic background. Since 1910 the JCC's role has changed and expanded to reflect the current times. Our staff is committed to providing members and guests with high quality programs and customer service. Included in a membership is the use of the fitness center, over 100 group and water fitness classes each week, lap and family swims, open gym use, family art and gym activities, a relaxation center complete with whirlpool, sauna and steam room, and discounts on fitness, social, and enrichment classes and programs.
The JCC provides programming for:
- Wellness & Fitness for all ages
- Youth Fitness, Dance & Sports
- Children's Education and Child Care
- Holocaust Education
- Diversity Education
- Jewish Cultural Programs
- Contemporary Adult Programming