A Tipstaff performs work in assigned Judicial Chambers and respective courtrooms within the York County Judicial Center or wherever the function and requirements of the position dictate and serve the needs of the designated Judge and/or his/her staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Adhere to Court and/or County policies and procedures.
- Pick up and deliver paperwork, files, mail etc., as requested by the Judge or the Judicial Administrative Assistant.
- Familiarity with office equipment and telephone system.
- Make copies.
- Refer to the Judicial Administrative Assistant's desk calendar daily for court sessions scheduled.
- Act as Tipstaff and Court Crier in assigned courtroom and in accordance with preference of presiding Judge.
- General courtroom duties may include: check that assigned District Attorney or their designee, Court Reporter, Clerk of Courts or Prothonotary are present; turn on sound system and test for use; replenish office supply items for Judge; have Judge's chair and robe prepared; replenish drinking cups/glasses and fresh water and ice; advise Judge when all parties are present and await Judge's entrance; announce Judge as preferred by same.
- Assure Tipstaff coverage during absence for vacation or illness by contacting the Court Scheduling Coordinator to make arrangements.
- Support all functions in the Jury Assembly Room as assigned, during Jury trial weeks.
- Requirements are representative of minimum knowledge, skills, and abilities.To perform this job successfully, the incumbent will possess the ability or aptitude to perform each duty proficiently and must possess appropriate interpersonal skills to interact professionally and ethically. Must obtain a clear background investigation.