The Senior Assistant for the adult system is an attorney with administrative as well as criminal trial responsibilities. The person in this position must be well-acquainted with how the Public Defender’s Office functions or have the ability to quickly master such knowledge. Administrative responsibilities include scheduling and addressing calls from MDJ office, the Judges and the public.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Carries a caseload of significant felony cases
- Assists in supervising the assistant Public Defenders in the adult unit.
- Must be prepared to handle the duties of the Chief Deputies in their absence, including scheduling, handling phone calls from MDJs, Judges and the public, and assignment of cases.
- Performs “Senior on Duty” responsibilities as scheduled
- Must have a good understanding of the office policies and procedures.
- Be admitted to the Pennsylvania Bar
- Must have valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Have a minimum of 5 years experience in trying criminal cases
- Must be Rule 801 death penalty certified
- Have good working knowledge of the criminal justice system
- Should have some relevant administrative/managerial experience or the ability to develop good management skills