An ESS substitute paraprofessional assists the classroom teacher to provide extra support to students with special needs, promoting maximum academic and personal growth. The substitute paraprofessional job responsibilities range from supplementing regular classroom curriculum to helping individual students.
Substitute paraprofessionals are also known as school aides, teacher assistants, instructional aides, one-to-one aides, and personal care assistants.
- Provide instructional reinforcement for individual students or small groups of students
- Assist teacher with classroom management and general supervision of the class
- Assist with administrative duties such as setting up equipment and preparing materials
- Supervise students in the cafeteria, schoolyard, specials, hallways, on field trips, and/or during before and after school programs
- Attend to students' physical, personal, academic, and emotional needs
- Support students with special needs by following provisions specified in their IEPs/504 Plans
- Perform other duties as directed by the classroom teacher and school administration
For a complete job description of a substitute paraprofessional, click here.
General Requirements & Skills
- High School Diploma or GED
- PA Department of Education Form 6004: Arrest/Conviction Report and Certification – Act 24
- PA State Police Criminal History Clearance – Act 34
- Federal Criminal History Clearance – Act 114
- Child Abuse Clearance – Act 151
- Sexual Misconduct/Abuse Disclosure Release – Act 168
- Tuberculosis Test/Physical
For frequently asked questions, click here.