The YMCA is hiring Camp Counselors for the 2021 Summer Camp season. The safety and health of our campers and staff is of utmost importance to us. We will follow all relevant federal, state, and local orders and update our procedures regularly based on CDC guidelines, allowing the campers a safe and fun environment to spend their summer! Locations at Camp Spirit (Mt. Wolf), York, and Shrewsbury are available! Full-time positions are normally assigned as a Camp Counselor and part-time positions as Extended Care Counselors (in the mornings and/or afternoons).
Candidates must be a high school graduate by June 2021 (or hold a GED) and have experience with children (paid or volunteer). If you have special interests such as arts and crafts, sports, science, or life guarding, please mention this when applying!
Counselors will be provided training including CPR/First Aid, Mandated Reporter, Safety Guidelines, Program Planning, and Lifeguard Certification (if interested).
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Provides direct supervision of a group of children in a seasonal day camp. Creates positive, nurturing relationships with children, while building cooperative relationships with parents/caregivers. Promotes and supports the potential of all youth in programs and facilitates peer-to-peer connections as part of the overall camp experience.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
1. Ensure paperwork including sign-in/sign-out sheets, rosters, emergency contact forms, and all other necessary paperwork as determined by the camp director are provided and transported from am/pm care to the camp spirit site and back daily
2. Responsible for the safety of campers as they arrive, attend and depart camp including; constant supervision and control of campers, following supervision protocols during all transitions, and securing the area to ensure no child has been left behind
3. Give children clear expectations, provide cues of transition and reinforce positive behavior along with redirecting children who act inappropriately
4. Maintain confidentiality and professionalism while keeping caregivers posted either verbally or in writing as to their child’s progress and behavior and create partnerships that encourage caregivers engagement
5. Keep camp clean and organized by holding campers accountable for cleaning up after activities and leading by example
6. Create a friendly, warm and inclusive atmosphere for campers and caregivers that encourages achievement, relationships and belonging
7. Create and lead daily activities including sports, games, team-building, theatrical skits, singing, archery, and more, which are culturally relevant, developmentally appropriate and consistent with YMCA values. Be vigilant of campers needs and implement necessary changes
8. Supervise campers in the pool by being in the pool or at the edge of the pool assisting the lifeguard(s) in providing well covered supervision of all areas of the pool
9. Collaborate with co-counselors to create positive examples of team work and group problem solving
General Requirements & Skills
1. Must have high school diploma or GED
2. Must have at least 1 year experience working with children
3. Must have or obtain CPR/AED and First Aid certification
4. Must have or obtain State Police, Child Abuse, FBI Fingerprinting clearances, and complete mandated reporter training