Under general direction the Assistant Director/Assistant Chief Assessor will manage the assessors and oversee the general workflow of the department. The position will be responsible for ensuring the County is compliant with the legal regulations for its operation and report to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania as required. The role is responsible for assisting taxpayers and tax collectors with the resolution of questions regarding assessments. The position will serve as overall administrator of the Clean and Green Program, and fulfill the Director role as needed. This position reports to Director of Assessment and Tax Claim.
General Requirements & Skills
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage Assessors within the Assessment office
- Responsible for hiring, training, disciplining and firing of Assessors according to County policy
- Continuously assess internal systems and recommend changes that would allow for greater efficiency in daily and monthly processing.
- Responsible for timely submission of State mandated reports
- Possess and maintain a working knowledge of the Real Estate Assessment Law and procedure to ensure legal compliance
- Review and interpret existing and new legal requirements and regulations imposed on the Assessment department.
- Assist the Director in setting policy for all offices within the Assessment department
- Must have knowledge of functions for each of the Assessment departments
- Assist taxpayers and tax collectors with the resolution of questions regarding assessments
- Administrate the Clean and Green Program by approving and terminating applications
- Defend Clean and Green Program decisions at appeal hearings
- Responsible for notarizing official documents
- Assist the Director in preparation of the annual budget
- Knowledge of office computer applications
- Assist the Director in implementing a countywide reassessment as directed by the Board of Assessment Appeals
- Responsible for Quality Control during a reassessment
- Maintain communications with Taxing Authorities and Tax Collectors
- Assist with and maintain records on Hiring, Training, Discipline and Terminating of all personnel within the department according to the County policy
- Fill in for the Director as needed.
- Update time and attendance records for all employees
- Responsible for creating and running departmental reports and analyzing of said reports
- Maintain excellent communication and relations between all departments within the Assessment office in addition to other County offices and external agencies.
- Coordinate the paperwork flow between the Appraisal team and Data Entry
- Provide excellent customer service
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Associates degree required or equivalent experience with 4 years staff management
- Requires knowledge of Assessment, Tax Claim, and Mapping
- Must have current and valid Pennsylvania Driver’s License
- Proficient computer knowledge to include Microsoft Word and Excel
- Requires excellent customer service and communication skills, along with strong organizational ability.
- Exceptional communication and organizational skills.
- Demonstrate teamwork, both internally and with other County departments.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES
Possession of a valid Certified Pennsylvania Evaluator’s (CPE) license issued by the Commonwealth of PA or ability to pass courses offered by the Assessor’s Association of Pennsylvania in real property assessment and appraisal work and pass the final examination for certification is required or obtained within two (2) years from date of hire. Must take all course work required to retain CPE license