A LITTLE ABOUT THE POSITION
The Director of Downtown Inc oversees the implementation of strategic initiatives to enhance quality of life while managing the team and resources necessary to curate a premiere Downtown York for visitors, residents, employers, and employees.
The Director will lead a team to manage a broad array of programs, projects, and partnerships intended to improve quality of life through beautification programs and public policy, promotions and marketing, merchant and stakeholder engagement, and events. The Director will cultivate key partnerships with the City government officials to ensure a safe, clean, welcoming Downtown that fosters economic development through business recruitment, retention, and promotion. These efforts are made possible by community stakeholders and investors, and therefore the Director must have a track record of fundraising and the ability to build relationships with the business and civic leaders, major employers, government officials, neighborhood associations, residential or merchant groups, philanthropic partners, and sister economic development organizations.
You must have a strong ability to multi-task, work independently, meet deadlines, , and prioritize multiple projects with excellent attention to detail, and understand how to build coalitions to implement strategic initiatives that accomplish our organizational mission and overarching economic success in our community. This position reports to the Chief Marketing and Business Development Officer and works within the York County Economic Alliance team.
You must be willing to have fun, be an extroverted, welcoming personality with a willingness to meet new people and often be the first face someone may see in Downtown York.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING:
- Champion Downtown York in the community through media appearances, presentations, stakeholder engagement, merchant and neighborhood associations, economic development tours, and representing Downtown Inc on key committees, task forces, and community collaboratives, generally advocating for the interests of Downtown York whenever possible.
- Work daily with the Downtown and YCEA teams on quality-of-life initiatives, promotions and events, fundraising and stakeholder investment, and economic development projects.
- Maintain relationships with partner organizations and committees, including but not limited to: York Business Improvement District Authority, Mayor’s office, City Council, County Commissioners, Better York, York County Community Foundation, Ambassador volunteers, and major corporate and foundation donors, nonprofit organizations, and city stakeholders and residents.
- Oversee and manage the York Business Improvement District Authority board and committees related to economic development, fundraising, and urban landscapes.
- Proactively reach out to businesses to foster relationships, anticipate and address concerns, and document business needs and successes.
- Advance and oversee implementation of our Downtown Action Plan, high impact projects, establishing metrics, ensuring progress, and communicating success.
- Advance the fundraising, and day-of-giving campaigns for Downtown Inc.
- Lead and manage an enthusiastic team.
- Other duties as assigned.
The compensation range is $55,000 - $70,000. This is a salaried position that may require work outside of traditional business hours.
WHY WORK FOR US?
We #MakeThingsHappen in YoCo! We have a great team and our job is to wake up daily and make positive change occur across our County. Our Downtown Inc team focuses on the Historically Edgy development in the heart of York City.
We offer competitive benefits that include healthcare, a retirement plan, paid family leave, and tuition reimbursement. We respect that your personal time is important, that is why we offer paid time off and vacation leave and encourage you to utilize it. We can accommodate flexible in-office and remote working. We respect and encourage community volunteer involvement.
WE ARE A WELCOMING WORKPLACE
The York County Economic Alliance and Downtown Inc are Equal Opportunity Employers and are committed to cultivating an environment where all voices are welcomed, celebrated and treated with respect. Our mission is to create equitable economic prosperity. Read about our Economic Equity Plan here.
Our organization is dedicated to provide opportunities to all employees and applicants. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protecting employees and applicants under the law.
General Requirements & Skills
WHO YOU ARE:
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a related field, such as business, communications, planning, or public policy.
- A preferred candidate will have 6-10 years of experience in an economic and community development role, marketing role, or other relevant experience, but we will consider candidates with 3-6 years of experience.
- Experience with the Main Street approach, ideally in a leadership position within a successful Main Street program or similar non-profit organization.
- Fluency in Spanish highly-desired but not required.
- Demonstrated fundraising ability.
- Ability to manage a team and work collaboratively as a servant-leader.
- Possesses prior leadership management skills.
- Ability to develop relationships and work with external partners of all types, including but not limited to businesses, vendors, city staff, etc.
- Ability to attend evening/weekend events that are relevant to the position and organization, including community events and meetings.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects at the same time, prioritize, and meet deadlines.
- Able to function effectively and independent of direct-supervision.
- Able to handle sensitive issues, situations, and information with diplomacy, professionalism and confidentiality.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, and organizational skills.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Fun, innovative personality with a willingness to create and try new methods of communication and events.
- Ability to thrive in a hybrid work environment that involves both remote and in-person work as needed.