The Dog License Specialist is responsible for the county dog license program administered through the York County Treasurer’s Office and regulated by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Department of Agriculture. The responsibilities include: the selection and continuous improvement of dog license software, the sale of licenses, the development of a marketing strategy to increase license sales, data entry functions, bookkeeping, record inspection, auditing procedures and preparation of mandated state reports associated with the dog licensing program. The Specialist serves as a liaison with appointed dog licensing sub-agents located throughout York County.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
License Specialist Duties
- Principle knowledge of dog license software programs and functions.
- Provide insight and continual analyses for technical updates to improve dog licensing software.
- Monitors, reviews and refines dog license processes and procedures.
- Prepares and implements marketing strategies to increase revenue through the sale of dog licenses.
- Receives, interprets, sorts, verifies and processes requests by customers for dog licenses, over-the-counter, through the mail and online.
- Trains and monitors activities of Dog License Agents county-wide using specialized proprietary computer applications and procedures.
- Prepares Daily Sales Reports, accounting for licenses sold and monies collected.
- Enters dog owner data into the county cash receipting computer software (Tyler Cashiering) for all sold dog licenses (Approx. 39,000 annually).
- Processes detailed lifetime dog licenses that require exchanging information and communicating with customers and persons outside organization including veterinarians and kennel operators; while maintaining and insuring full-compliance with state regulations.
- Retrieves and verifies owner information for government agencies such as: 911, state and local law enforcement.
- Monitors and audits daily and monthly sales reports of appointed dog license sub-agents.
- Prepares required statistical reports for all dog licenses sold.
- Timely and accurately prepares Pennsylvania State Department of Agriculture reports for Treasurer’s signature and deadline submission requirement by the 5th of each month.
- Inspects, inventories and distributes new annual applications, licenses forms and tags.
- Collects and audits all unsold dog license products for each calendar year.
- Maintains records, licenses and verifies unsold tags for state conducted audits.
- Corresponds with Customers, Agents and Veterinarians in verbal and written form as required.
- Responsible for completing the Daily Sales verification of monetary activity for the Treasurer’s Office.
- Cross-trained to perform other treasurer office customer service duties including: sale of licenses for bingo, small games of chance, fishing, hunting, fur taker and sportsman’s firearm permits.
- Responsible to communicate and convey answers for all types of questions to internal and external customers over the phone and provide information and/or direct calls to the proper county agency/department.
- Embrace Treasurer’s Mission Statement: “My staff and I are committed to serving you (internal and external customers) in a customer friendly and professional manner at all times.”
- Other reasonable duties as assigned by Supervisor.
- Specialist must have thorough knowledge and a full understanding of the PA Dog Law (Dog Law with Amendments Act of 1996, No. 151).
- Possess analytical skills to review and select dog license software programs.
- Ability to refine dog license processes and procedures.
- Must possess the creative skills to develop a market strategy to increase dog license sales.
- Must possess accurate math and bookkeeping skills choosing the right methods or formulas to solve a problem.
- Compile, copy, sort, and file dog law records of business transactions and office activities.
- Compute, record and proof read data and other information such as records or reports.
- Ability to operate a personal computer and utilize software including: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, Microsoft Outlook, Online Dog Licensing, PALS (PA hunting and fishing licenses), Tyler Cashiering (cash receipting software) and Laserfiche.
- Ability to use the following office equipment: telephone, fax, PC, laser printer, calculator, photocopier, scanner and file system.
- Ability to multi-task and perform many various office responsibilities while at the same time having the capability to concentrate on detailed dog law specialist tasks.
- Must possess a High School Diploma.