The IEC Apprentice Program is a four-year, registered apprenticeship program. After completion of required classroom and on-the-job training hours, the apprentice will receive a Journeyworker Certificate from the PA Dept. of Labor & Industry’s Apprenticeship and Training Council. Apprentices are full-time paid employees who also go to school 2 nights a week or online. Apprentice starting wages are competitive with 5% increases steadily throughout the 4-year program depending on grades, work performance, and employer you are placed with.
Qualified individuals are invited to apply for employment and training through the IEC Electrical Apprenticeship Program.
Application dates: October 14-23, 2020; Office hours vary, please call for an appointment or drop all materials in the locked black mailbox outside of the IEC Office within our facility at 8 Long Ln.
High school seniors may apply prior to graduation. If a high school senior qualifies for entry into the IEC Electrical Apprenticeship Program, they will be offered employment to begin after successfully graduating high school.
General Requirements & Skills
Step one: Complete an application and submit the following non-returnable documents and payment:
- Proof of Age: Copy of birth certificate, driver’s license and social security number. Must be at least 17 to apply for the
- High School Diploma, or proof of graduation/GED Certificate. Copy for our
- High School Transcripts. College or trade school transcripts, if applicable, may also be submitted but are not a replacement for high school transcripts. Those with a GED, or home schooled, must also provide
- Proof of Electrical Work Experience: if any, a letter from electrical contractor employer noting years of
- Form DD214 for veterans applying: Veterans education benefits are available to qualified
- Three PERSONAL Letters of Reference: from employers, colleagues, instructors, no family members. Only one letter per employer. Letter should be one page, have contact info, how they know you and for how long, what type of person you are, why they think you would be successful in the electrical industry, and any other related
- $100 Application Fee (Non-refundable) Check or online payment; no cash. Credit card payments may be made through our Square account via an invoice emailed to you through a request before noon on the last application day (processing fees apply).
Failure to provide any one of the above items, including payment, by the 4pm deadline on the last application day will automatically disqualify the individual.
Step two: Take a math and reading assessments and complete a questionnaire (if not a current IEC contractor employee). A link to sign up for a time October 26-28 and November 2, 2020 will be provided after submission of application documents.
Step three: Attend an interview on the afternoon of November 10, 2020 via Zoom. You will sign up for a time after completing the assessment portion of the process (if applicable). After the interviews, applicants are ranked and placed in a pool. Successful candidates will then be employed with an IEC electrical contractor while attending school which is tuition free to the apprentice.
NOTE: Individuals with felony records cannot be accepted. Applicants must pass a drug-screening prior to acceptance into the program. Applicants must have valid driver’s license.