- Responsible for transporting goods from one location to another in a timely fashion using flat bed or tractor-trailer trucks.
- Delivers goods while operating a tractor-trailer or flat bed. Including rural, suburban and urban areas in various states.
- Loads and unloads cargo.
- Records amount and type of cargo being delivered.
- Takes orders for new delivers.
- May drive long distances.
- Fills up on fuel, cleans truck, and washes windows.
- Reports to a dispatcher any incidents encountered on the road.
- Monitors road conditions and watches for traffic congestion.
- Follows all applicable traffic laws.
- Inspects the trailer before and after the trip, and records any defects they found.
- Follows accident procedures if an accident occurs.
- Keeps a log of activities.
- Reports any mechanical problems to the appropriate personnel.
- Keeps truck, and associated equipment, clean and in good working order.
- Plans routes using maps or satellite tracking.
- Makes deliveries timely.
- Maintains log of trips.
- Performs other tasks and duties as directed by management.
- Ability to work in varying weather temperatures, depending upon season. May be exposed to various conditions when working outside.
- Regularly sitting in a truck. Frequently lifts up to 50 pounds. Bends, stoops, stands, walks, pivots. Sits for long periods of time. Good sense of balance. Good vision and reflexes.
- Traffic conditions. Weather conditions.
General Requirements & Skills
- Emphasizing Excellence
- Customer Service
- Reporting Skills
- Presentation Skills
- Verbal Communication
- Written Communication
- High degree of attention required to prevent injury to others; promote a safe work environment.
- High School Diploma equivalency
- Must maintain CDL license